© Ekaitz Zilarmendi
The MIDAS Prize for Journalism in Minority Protection and Cultural Diversity in Europe
The MIDAS Prize for Journalism in Minority Protection and Cultural Diversity in Europe was established in 2003 and is administered by the European Association of Daily Newspapers in Minority and Regional Languages (MIDAS).
The prize is awarded to journalists from MIDAS member newspapers who have made a special contribution to the coverage of minority protection and cultural diversity issues in the context of the European integration process.
It rewards individuals and their journalistic work that promotes the protection of minorities and cultural diversity, combats racism and discrimination and contributes to a better understanding of cultural and ethnic differences.
The prize promotes editorial independence, journalistic ethics and high standards of professionalism.
The Midas Prize for Journalism in Minority Protection and Cultural Diversity in Europe is organised by MIDAS and judged by the members of the MIDAS Governing Board.
The winner will also be invited to the award ceremony during the MIDAS General Assembly and will receive the €1,000 monetary award from the President of MIDAS.
Rules of the Competition 2023
- Journalists employed by MIDAS member newspapers are invited to submit an article or series of articles on a single subject.
- Applicants may enter only once a year.
- The submitted article must be sent in the original or as a high quality photocopy.
- The articles will be judged by the members of the MIDAS Governing Board.
- The Board will also consider the quality of the professionalism and journalistic standards applied in the preparation and dissemination of the article, as well as the exemplary nature of the article and its impact and relevance to public opinion.
- The prize is awarded by the President of MIDAS on the basis of a proposal from the Governing Board.
- Entries must be published on an online platform of a MIDAS member newspaper between 1 January 2022 and 31 December 2022.
- Entries must be written in a minority or regional language in which the daily newspaper is published.
- The deadline for submissions is 31 March 2023.
- MIDAS will have the right to reproduce and distribute the work submitted in its publications and in promotional material for the MIDAS Prize for Journalism.
- Each entry must have the written permission of the author.
How to enter
Fill in the application form and send it per email with a copy of your article (or a series of articles on one subject) to the address below.
Please read the rules of competition before submitting your entry. The deadline for the entries is 31 March 2023. There are no entry fees.
MIDAS Generaly Secretary
Center for Autonomy Experience/Eurac Research
Drususallee/Viale Druso 1
39100 Bozen/Bulsan/Bolzano, Italy